Policies for Rentals Properties
Rental Guidelines and Policies
All applications are processed without regard to the race, color, religion, sex, handicap, familial status, or national origin of the applicant.
- The credit check depends on the type of rental. If you are trying to rent a decent clean apartment in a working-class neighborhood, credit just needs to be okay. Your credit doesn’t have to be perfect but it can’t be all bad either.
- If you are trying to rent a house in a bit fancier of a neighborhood, credit needs to be better. Once again this does not mean perfect, but you must have a decent credit score to qualify.
Civil and Criminal Search
- No Money Owed to a previous landlord
- No money owed to a prior landlord or apartment community for any reason- No exceptions!
- Misdemeanors - repetitive or continuous misdemeanors within the past 5 years will be reviewed and could be cause for denial.
- Felonies could be cause for denial if violent.
- Sexually related offenses for any time period are cause for denial.
- How often did you pay late?
- Did you leave owing money?
- How did you maintain the premises?
- Did you fulfill the terms of your lease?
- Were there any complaints against you or your guests?
- An Eviction might be okay if you paid the landlord in full afterward. If you still owe the landlord money for any reason, your application will be automatically rejected.
- Please note: Family, friends, and/or roommates are not acceptable rental references.
- Some of our owners are more flexible than others. For example, you might have paid a few times late but your previous landlord thought you were a good tenant. This should be fine.
Employment and Income Check
- Do you have a job or some other source of income?
- How long have you been at your job?
- Is your income verifiable?
- Pets are okay if the owner of the property and association allows them.
- No more than 2 animals per unit (if allowed).
- No attack-trained animals or known vicious breeds permitted. That means Rottweilers, Dobermans, Pit Bulls, German Shepherds and typically any big dog over 75 pounds other than a lab.
- Must pay monthly pet rent per pet.
- 12 months is our lease term. We do not offer short-term or month-to-month leases.
- Cosigners ARE NOT ACCEPTED.
Application and Fees
- You will need to fill out an application.
- A Driver's License or other approved photo ID must be included.
- $40.00 non-refundable application fee. There is an additional $40 charge (each) for other adults.
- Fees must be paid by cashier's check or money order. The Application Fee can be paid when you submit the application online.
- Once you are approved, you need to drop off a non-refundable (refundable once you move-in) deposit and your administrative/leasing fee. The deposit is at first non-refundable because we are taking the property off the market for you. If you decide to not move in after that then the owner has lost a great deal of money. The deposit becomes your refundable security deposit when you move into your rental.
- To move in, you will pay your first month's rent in full in certified funds. Your prorated (if you didn't move in on the 1st of the month) is paid in your second month. You must pay rent through our online portal from the 2nd month onward.
- Applications are approved by the most qualified applicant received over a reasonable time period. We will refund your application fee in the event we do not pull your credit/criminal background. The only time we spend your application fee is when we are checking credit/criminal background.
Each owner of a rental property will have slightly different qualifying guidelines. All applications are processed without regard to the race, color, religion, sex, handicap, familial status, or national origin of the applicant.